The Maryland Sheep Breeders Association was incorporated on October 21, 1952. The original incorporators were Charles W. Williams of Glyndon, MD Carleton Sharettes, Jr. of Sparks, MD; and Gordon G. Power of Towson, MD.
The corporation was formed as an educational and non-profit association, for the following purposes:
- To promote the sheep industry.
- To further experimental and research work on the part of the "State Agricultural Experimental Station" in regard to sheep.
- For the mutual benefit that may accrue to the members, resulting from exchange of ideas and information.
- To educate land owners of the advantages of sheep raising to agriculture.
- To educate 4-H and FFA members and young farmer groups to the advantages of sheep raising to agriculture.
- To plan and conduce sheep tours, shows and sales for the benefit of members, and to raise funds for carrying out the purposes set forth herein, and conducting the corporation.
The original board of directors was Edward E. Stafford, George Lechlider, Frank R. McFarland, Dudley C. Babb, Ural Bee, F. M. Crocker, James Gent, Berle Greene, W. E. Miller, Svend Pouleche, Sidney Watters, and Francis Weiskittel.