General Sheep and Wool Resources
- Maryland Small Ruminant Page
- American Sheep Industry Association/Sheep Industry News
- American Lamb Board
- USDA/APHIS Scrapie Disease Information
- National Lamb Feeders Association
- The Livestock Conservancy
- American Grassfed Association
- Maryland Grazers Network
Wool Pools for Maryland Producers
(Last updated April 2017)
Keep in mind each pool has different preferred methods of packaging wool and some have limits on the number of trash bags you’re allowed to bring. Please contact your pool early so you can be prepared at shearing with the proper bags, whether that is burlap sausage bags, plastic sausage bags, or nylon square packs.
Pennsylvania wool pools
Berks/Chester County Wool Pool
1238 County Welfare Road, Ste 110
Lees Port, PA 19533
Bucks-Montgomery Co-op Wool Pool
471 Almshouse Road
Doylestown, PA 18901
Cumberland Coop Sheep & Wool Growers Association
1100 Claremont Road
Carlisle, PA 17013
Mercer County Coop & Western PA Wool Pool
735 N Perry Highway
Mercer, PA 16137
Somerset County Sheep & Wool Growers Wool Pool
718 Geiger Road
Friedens, PA 15541-8113
Virginia Sheep Producers also puts on multiple wool pool collection sites during June and July. Keep an eye on their website or contact them directly for locations and dates: http://www.vasheepproducers.com/index.html.
If you are closer to West Virginia, the West Virginia Shepherds Federation puts on wool pools at multiple sites in the state. For more information contact: Ronald Fletcher, 578 Cabin Run Road, Middlebourne, WV 26149, 304-758-4819.
Emily Chamelin is buying wool directly for Groenewold Fur and Wool. She can help simplify the process by picking up your wool, weighing it, and cutting you a check on the spot if necessary. She travels frequently around the region and is happy to pick up wool when she is nearby. Her goal is to make selling your wool as simple as possible. Contact Emily to arrange for a pickup or if you have any questions: 443-244-2702, , www.chamelinshearing.org.
Some of these are closed groups, but may be worth joining if that’s where your interest lies.
- Maryland Farmer’s Exchange (Closed Group)
- Maryland Real Farmers Exchange (Public Group)
- Sheep Farmers (Closed Group)
- MSBA Member Marketplace (Public Group)
- Sheep for Sale (Closed Group)
- Sheep for Sale Maryland (Public Group)
- Sheep and sheep stuff for sale or wanted- North East USA (Closed Group)
- Raw Wool for Sale (Closed Group)
- Fiber Artists & Yarn Spinners (Closed Group)
- Fiber Artists Marketplace (Public Group)
- Fiber Equipment for Sale (Public Group)
- All Fiber Equipment For Sale (Closed Group)
- Fiber Processing Equipment For Sale (Public Group)
All are welcome to join. Members are from 6 counties: Anne Arundel, Carroll, Frederick, Howard, Montgomery, and Washington Counties, plus a few members from out-of-state. Extensive “Links” tab.
Peter Vorac, President — (301) 371-4111 —
Patty Sanville, Secretary — (240) 357-1437 —
Dawn Richardson, Treasurer — (301) 908-5985 —